1. What happens in an Oxidation reaction?
(A) Protons are lost
(B) Electrons are lost
(C) Neutrons are lost
(D) Electrons are gained
2. Wh ich among the fo llowing is not a characteristic of Oxidation reaction ?
(A) It involves addition of hydrogen
(B) It involves addition of oxygen
(C) It involves loss of electrons
(D) It involves addition of electronegative element
3. The liberation of oxygen during photosynthesis
is due to__________.
(A) Hydrolysis of carbohydrates
(B) Photolysis of water (C) Reduction of CO2
(D) Breakdown of chlorophyll
4. When Hydrogen combusts in air, then formed–
(D) Carbonic acid.
5. Browning of paper in old books is caused by
(A) Frequent use
(B) Lack of aeration
(C) Collection of dust
(D) Oxidation of cellulose
6. Oxygen has (+) oxidation number only in
7. The oxidation number of nickel in K4[Ni(CN)4] is
9. Nitrogen forms a variety of compounds in all oxidation states ranging from–
(A) – 3 to +5
(B) –3 to +3
(C) –3 to +4
(D) –3 to +6
11. The oxidation state of Cr in K2Cr2O7 is –
12. In H2O2, oxidation state of oxygen is
13. In which of the following compounds transition metal has zero oxidation state?
14. Cooking oil is converted into vegetable ghee by the process of–
4. Chemical reaction with CO2
(A) 1 and 2
(B) 2 and 3
(C) 3 and 4
(D) 1 and 3
16. Rusting of Iron is –
(A) Due to oxidation
(B) Due to carbonation
(C) Due to epoxidation
(D) Due to corrosion
17. The rusting of iron metal in air needs both–
(A) Carbon dioxide and Moisture
(B) Water and Paint
(C) Oxygen and grease
(D) Oxygen and Moisture
18. What is Rusting of Iron?
(A) Physical change
(B) Electric change
(C) Photo Chemical change
(D) None of the above
19. Iron rusts quickly in –
(A) Rain water
(B) Distilled water
(C) Sea water
(D) River water
20. The rusting of iron–
(A) Decreases its weight(B) Increases its weight
(C) Remains same
(D) Can’t say (unpredictable)
21. The coating of thin layer of zinc on steel or iron object is known as
(A) Hot dipping
22. The metal, used to galvanise iron to protect it from rusting is
23. Which metal does not undergo corrosion due to the formation of Oxide layer?
24. The metal chiefly used for galvanising iron is:
25. The process of deposition of a layer of Zinc over water pipes for being protected from rusting is known as–
(A) Depositing a Layer of Zinc
(B) Formation of alloy
26. Which metal is used to Galvanize iron?
27. To protect the iron from getting rusted, the coat of zinc is applied on it. This process is known as–
28. Which of the following is not favourable to prevent iron from rusting?
(B) Applying grease
29. Potassium Permanganate is used for purifying drinking water, because_________
(A) It is a reducing agent
(B) It is an oxidising agent
(C) It is a sterilising agent
(D) It dissolves the impurities of water
30. Carbon dioxide is
(A) A Reducing agent
(B) An Oxidising agent
(C) A Dehydrating agent
(D) A Bleaching agent
31. The reactions in which oxidation and reduction occur simultaneously are called___.
(A) Feral reactions
(B) Redox reactions
(C) Demug reactions
(D) Kerol reactions
32. Rusting is _____.
(C) Redox reaction (Oxidation and Reduction)
33. Which among the following metal is used for galvanization?
(A) Zinc (B) Copper
(C) Iron (D) Silver
34. Process of gaining electrons is known as _____.
(A) Oxidation (B) Reduction
(D) Both oxidation and reduction
35. Process of loosing electrons is known as _____.
(D) Both oxidation and reduction
36. What is the process of rust forming on iron called?
37. The process of deposition of a layer of zinc on iron is called ___________ .
38. The process of deposition of a layer of any desired metal on another material by means of electricity is called ___________.
39. Brownish film formed on iron when left in open is called?