1. When a stone is thrown in calm water of a pond waves produced are-
(A) Longitudinal wave (B) Transverse wave
(C) Both A and B (D) Wave does not Produced
2. Which instrument can be used to study the waveform of a signal?
(A) Spectrometer (B) Oscilloscope
(C) Sonometer (D) P-n Junction diode
3. What is found in frequency modulation?
(A) Fixed frequency (B) Fixed dimension
(C) Change in frequency and dimension
(D) Change in dimension only
4. These waves cannot be transmitted through vacuum
(A) Light (B) Sound
(C) Heat (D) Electromagnetic
5. Stationary wave is formed by
(A) A transverse wave superposing a longitudinal wave
(B) Two waves of the same speed superposing
(C) Two waves of same frequency travelling in
the same direction
(D) Two waves of same frequency travelling in
the opposite direction
6. Intensity of any wave is proportional to which of the following?
(A) Amplitude (B) Square of amplitude
(C) Square root of amplitude
(D) Cube of amplitude
7. The reverse effect of X-ray emission is
(A) Raman Effect (B) Compton Effect
(C) Zeeman Effect (D) Photoelectric Effect
8. Which of the following waves can not be polarized.
(A) Radio (B) Ultraviolet
(C) Infrared (D) Ultrasonic
9. Which one of the fo l lowing is not an
(A) X-ray (B) Gamma-ray
(C) Cathode Ray (D) Infrared
10. Which of the fo l lowing has the lowest frequency?
(A) Visible Ray (B) Gamma Ray
(C) X-Ray (D) Ultraviolet Rays
11. Every hot object emits
(A) X-rays (B) Visible light
(C) Infrared Rays (D) Ultraviolet Rays
12. Which of the following is not true about X-rays?
(A) Have low penetrating power
(B) Travel with the speed of light
(C) Can be reflected or refracted
(D) Can affect photographic plates.
13. In which region of the electromagnetic spectrum
does the Lyman series of Hydrogen atom lie
(A) Visible (B) Infrared
(C) Ultraviolet (D) X-Ray
14. Which of these travels in glass with minimum velocity
(A) Red light (B) Violet Light
(C) Green Light (D) Yellow Light
15. X-Rays are
(A) Positively charged particles
(B) Negatively charged particles
(C) Neutral particles (D) None of these
16. The damage of the human body due to radiation
(X-Rays or g-rays) is measured in
(A) Rems (B) Roentgen
(C) Curei (D) Rads
17. Transition ions absorb light in region
(A) Infrared (B) Ultraviolet
(C) Microwave (D) Visible
18. Green house effect is the heating up of the
Earth’s atmosphere which is due to
(A) The Ultraviolet Rays (B) Gamma-rays
(C) The infrared rays (D) X-rays
19. Indicate the correct arrangement for
electromagnetic radiation in order of their increasing wavelength
(A) Microwave, Infrared, Visible, X-Rays
(B) X-Rays, Visible, Infrared, Microwave
(C) Visible, Infrared, Microwave, X-Rays
(D) X-rays, Infrared, Visible, Microwave
20. Which of the following supports particle nature of photons?
(A) Diffraction (B) Polarization
(C) Photoelectric effect (D) Interference
21. Matter waves are
(A) de Broglie waves (B) Electromagnetic waves
(C) Transverse waves (D) longitudinal waves
22. Which electromagnetic radiation is used for
(A) Ultraviolet (B) Infrared
(C) Microwave (D) Millimeter-wave
23. The radiation initially produced in the fluorescent tube is
(A) Infrared (B) Ultraviolet
(C) Microwaves (D) X-Rays
24. Waves that are required for long-distance
wireless communication are
(A) Infrared Rays (B) Ultraviolet Rays
(C) Radio waves (D) Microwaves
25. Ultra violet radiations of the Sun do not reach
the earth because, earth’s atmosphere is
(A) Carbon dioxide (B) Ammonia
(C) Chlorine (D) Ozone
26. Gamma rays can cause
(A) Gene mutation (B) Sneezing
(C) Iodine (D) Sodium chloride
27. Ultraviolet radiations has more energy as compare to-
(A) Infrared Radiation (B) Gamma Radiation
(C) X-Rays (D) Space Rays
28. Ultraviolet rays can be used in water treatment as
(A) Precipitator (B) Hydrolyser
(C) Disinfectant (D) Flocculator
29. The device used for measuring the wavelength of X-rays is:
(A) Cyclotron (B) Bragg’s Spectrometer
(C) Mass spectrometer (D) GM counter
30. Radar is used to-
(A) To locate submerged submarines.
(B) Receive signal from radio receivers.
(C) Detect and locate distant objects.
(D) Locate geostationary satellites.
31. Who is the inventor of RADAR?
(A) H.N. Van Tessel (B) William K. Rontgen
(C) P.T. Farnswarth
(D) A.H. Taylor and Lio C. Young
32. Who discovered X-Rays?
(A) Roentgen (B) Becquerel
(C) Marie curie (D) Wan Loo
Ans. (A) [SSC Tax. Asst. 2009]
Exp: William conrad roentgen discovered X-rays.
33. The least penetrating power ray is —
(A) -rays (B) -ray
(C) -rays (D) X-ray
34. X-rays can be used.
(A) To detect defects in precious stones and diamonds.
(B) To detect heart diseases.
(C) To detect gold under the earth
(D) For cutting and welding of metals.
35. Wavelength of visible spectrum is –
(A) 1300 Å– 3000 Å (B) 3900 Å – 7600 Å
(C) 7800 Å – 8000 Å (D) 8500 Å – 9800 Å
36. In a Filament type Light bulb most of the
electric power consumed appear as –
(A) Visible Light (B) Infrared Light
(C) Ultraviolet (D) Fluorescent Light
37. Which of the following is used in MRI machines?
(A) Sound wave (B) X-rays
(C) Ultrasonic wave (D) Magnetic wave
38. A wavelength of 0.3 m is produced in air and it
travels at a speed of 300 m/s. Then it will be an-
(A) Audible wave (B) Ultrasonic
(C) Microwave (D) Infrasonic
39. Bolometer is used to measure which of the following?
(A) Frequency (B) Temperature
(C) Velocity (D) Wavelength
40. Coolidge tube is used to produce
(A) Radio waves (B) Microwaves
(C) X-rays (D) Gamma rays
41. Which of the following parts of the sunlight
makes the solar cooker hot?
(A) Ultraviolet (B) Red light
(C) Infrared (D) Cosmic rays
42. When a vehicle passes, TV reception gets
distorted. This is because
(A) Metal reflects radiowaves
(B) Spark plug creates electromagnetic disturbances
(C) Vehicle pollution affects the performance of
the TV components
(D) Modern vehicles use an electro-ignition system
43. Where are mesons found?
(A) Cosmic rays (B) X-rays
(C) Gamma rays (D) Laser beam
44. What is the full form of ‘AM’ regarding radio broadcasting?
(A) Amplitude Movement(B) Anywhere Movement
(C) Amplitude Matching (D) Amplitude Modulation
45. The scientist who first sent electromagnetic
waves to distant places is
(A) James Clerk Maxwell(B) Heinrich Hertz
(C) Thomas Alva Edison (D) John Logie Baird
46. Gamma rays have greatest similarity with
(A) -rays (B) -rays
(C) X-rays (D) U.V.-rays
47. The audio signals of TV are
(A) Amplitude modulated (B) Frequency modulated
(C) Unmodulated (D) Velocity modulated
48. Tape recorder should not be kept near one of
the following things:
(A) Clock (B) Magnet
(C) Electrical switchboard(D) Radio
49. Night photography and photography in mist and
fog are possible using
(A) Ultra-violet radiation(B) Infra-red radiation
(C) Microwave radiation(D) Gamma radiation
50. Forged documents are detected by
(A) Ultraviolet rays (B) Infra-red rays
(C) Beta rays (D) Gamma rays
51. In the remote control of the levision , electromagnetic waves used are
(A) Ultraviolet (B) Microwave
(C) Radiowave (D) Infrared
52. Which of the following radiations has the least wavelength?
(A) X-rays (B) -rays
(C) -rays (D) -rays
53. A second pendulum is a pendulum whose time period is —
(A) 1 sec (B) 4 sec
(C) 3 sec (D) 2 sec
54. What is the motion which repeats itself after regular interval of time?
(A) Periodic Motion (B) Simple Harmonic Motion
(C) Undamping Motion (D) Vibratory Motion
55. Which of the following waves has the highest frequency?
(A) Radio (B) Infrared
(C) Microwaves (D) Gamma-rays
56. ______ are used for communication in artificial satellites.
(A) Infrared waves (B) Radio waves
(C) Ultraviolet (UV) rays
(D) Amplitude Modulation (A.M.) waves
57. What is the distance between a crest and a consecutive trough in a transverse wave?
(A) Wavelength (B) Amplitude
(C) Half of the wavelength
(D) Twice of wavelength
58. Which one of the following is not a property of electromagnetic waves?
(A) Electromagnetic waves do not show
interference and diffraction.
(B) Oscillating electric field and magnetic field
are perpendicular to each other.
(C) Electromagnetic waves are transverse waves
(D) Electromagnetic waves do not require a
medium to propagate.
59. The time taken by a pendulum to complete one
oscillation is called its?
(A) Maximum speed
(B) Average speed
(C) Time period
(D) Time interval